I would like to give my highest recommendation for Karen Curtiss, founder and driving force behind CampaignZERO. Ms. Curtiss has become a nationally renowned patient advocate, who witnessed her father’s death from multiple healthcare associated conditions and infections. In addition, her husband developed sepsis after a bowel resection. She channeled this experience is to a relentless campaign to empower others regarding patient safety; to teach patients how to take basic precautions to avoid adverse events, and to encourage patients to speak-up to get the proper quality of healthcare.
She has partnered with hospitals and the end result is the Safe & Sound in the Hospital campaign which provides patients with multiple checklists and teaching aids to educate them on the avoidance of adverse events. Ms. Curtiss also is an excellent teacher and gives lectures to patients and community organizers for training in her program. Ms. Curtiss is a true patient advocate and serves as an example for others to emulate.
- Inspirational speaker! She has enriched healthcare with her thoughtful reflection on her experiences and tools she has developed and shares.
- Powerful speaker
- Very moving presentation from a patient/family presentation which is highly motivating/inspirational.
- Her message and delivery were so poignant and heartfelt. I liked that her slides were simple pictures to reflect her feelings or a moment. They worked well to support her stories and to allow the audience to fully listen to her message.
- Her story was eye opening to many things that we as healthcare practitioners sometimes don’t see.
- Great speaker. She was able to put the personal touch to why we do what we do to improve safety in our hospitals.
- One of my favorite presentations of the day. Gave me a lot to think about!
- Very poignant and emotionally engaging speaker.
- It was an honor to hear about her experience with healthcare from a non-medical perspective. I will work to be a better care partner for my family.